SO excited to be participating in the Pinterest Challenge again. Last time they had it, I couldn’t get my act together and get something done, so I’m thrilled I could participate this time!
If you’re feeling lost, the Pinterest Challenge was something thought up by Katie and Sherry, and basically it’s just a challenge to get off your butt and actually DO something that you’ve pinned.
My project this time was actually sort of a combination of two different pins.
Dip dyed basket pin from here; succulent pin from here
A dip-dyed succulent planter! The whole project sparked when I found these baskets at Goodwill.
I loved the color and shape of them and the fact that there were two matching. But then something curious happened. I looked inside and saw this:
A plastic liner. Sewn to the basket. My first thought was, “Did someone use this as a trash can?” But then I realized that they were much too small for that. And then the lightbulb went off in my head and I thought: “Planter!” I have no clue if that’s what they were originally intended for, but it works out for me either way! I’ve been itching to bring some green succulents into our house and I thought this would be the perfect vessel.
But you know I couldn’t just let those baskets come into my house and stay unchanged. I wanted to give them some jazz hands. So I decided to try for the dip-dye technique that I absolutely adore.
I cheated, though. I didn’t actually dip these in paint. I was using a paint sample I already had and I didn’t quite have enough to make a full go of the traditional ‘dipping’ technique. So I improvised and just painted it on. I started off by just sort of dry-brushing the entire area that I wanted to be painted.
It literally took 5 minutes for both baskets. I didn’t tape anything off because I wanted that dipped ombre look with the paint just sort of fading out near the top. Once I had lightly coated the area I wanted, I went back and applied the paint much thicker on the bottom inch or so of the basket.
For this part, it’s OK to just glob it on, even if it kind of covers the basket weave. I like the higher contrast look. Once you’ve laid it on pretty thick, you can start to lightly fan it upwards. There really is no specific technique and everyone’s preference is probably different. The key for the look I wanted, is simply that I didn’t want a harsh line anywhere…I just wanted the paint to gradually get lighter.
Once you’re finished, let ’em dry overnight.
Then, you’re ready to plant your succulents! I used potting mix designed specifically for cacti and succulents and I filled my baskets about 3/4 of the way full and then cleared a hole where I could drop my plants in. Fiddle with them until you like the arrangement, and then pile in some more soil around them as well. A lot of people finish off with a thin layer of rocks or gravel, but I decided to leave mine au naturale. Sometimes it’s nice to just let it all hang out, ya know? At least for plants, that is.
So now let’s see some purty styled up shots, shall we?
I put them both on a tray along with another succulent I planted in a terra cotta bowl (also from Goodwill..$0.50 what whaaa?!!!). I also add a bud vase and a couple of textured balls. Keep your minds out of the gutter.
The little succulent on the right came in a set of 3 from Target. Shhh, don’t tell the others, but that guy is fake. All he’s ever wanted is to fit in with the awesome real plants.
Aaaaand I’m officially the crazy lady who imagines her plants to have complex feelings.
I think my favorite part of this DIY is that it took me all of an hour to complete both planters (not including the drying time of the baskets, of course). Those are my kind of projects!
I’m linking up with Katie, Sherry, Michelle, and Kate! Check out their linky parties for all kinds of awesome ideas!
Also linking up at Home Stories A to Z.