It’s the MOST wonderful tiiiime of the yeeearrrrr!!

Finally, it’s OK to talk about Christmas! I’ve had the music going for a few weeks now, but I did hold off on bringing out any decor until Thanksgiving was over. But once we got home on Saturday, all bets were off. I went Christmas craft crazy and got quite a few projects done, and I can’t wait to show them all to you!

I’ve been dreaming up Christmas vignettes for weeks, and I knew I wanted to get some letters to spell out the word ‘snow.’ So when I was at JoAnn’s on Black Friday with my sister-in-laws and saw that all of their wooden letters were $1 off, I took it as a sign from Santa that it was time to make this project happen!

I knew I wanted them to be a little blingy, but I didn’t want to just use glitter so when I saw this image on Pinterest, my wheels, they were a-turnin’.

via

I originally thought about using dimes or nickels, but quickly ix-nayed that since it would make the project 5-10x more expensive than using pennies. Go ahead, call me a cheapskate :)

The only problem I was having was that the pennies didn’t give me nice even coverage of my letters, like you see in the picture above. There was still a lot of white showing. So I ran out and got a bottle of bronze acrylic paint, which really helped to disguise it against the coins.

And then it was as simple as gluing on my pennies. I didn’t try to pick out ones that were all shiny or all tarnished, I wanted a nice mixture of both. And in the same vein, I didn’t put them all ‘heads up’ or ‘tails up’…I just grabbed them randomly to try and keep things varied.

I LOVE the way they turned out, it was exactly what I was wanting!

Have you guys done any Christmas crafting recently? I’d love to see!

Tagged with →
Share →

28 Responses to Penny For Your Thoughts

1. Dad says:

Very crafty!!

2. Britt says:

LOVE IT! Very creative my friend :)

3. Absolutely Stunning!! I loooove this!

4. Whitney says:

So cute! I love that the letters are all in different fonts :)

5. Lyndon Finney says:

very nice!! Merry Christmas!!

6. Michaela says:

This is awesome! I love the metallic shine to it (: Thanks for linking up to our Christmas Cheer link party, Dacia (:

7. Ooh! You could even glitter-spray paint those pennies. I’m with ya, sister. The silver coinage is too $$ for a craft.

This is very cool. Sharing at my holiday pinterest folder…

Make my grinch heart grow bigger and share this at my Holiday Link. Happy Crafting!

8. I love the pennies! It looks so much better with bronze than with the silver dimes or nickels. I never would of thought of something like this, but it’s great!

9. Wow! You are a Christmas crafting genius! So glad I found your project via Centsational Girl.

Please stop by for a visit to my blog. I am currently in the midst of a Gifts to Make series.

Be Merry and Bright!

10. julia says:

I saw this on Bower Power. Love the idea, thanks for sharing!

11. Jen says:

You have such a gorgeous blog! And, I am seriously crushing on your coin letters, how clever! I’d be thrilled if you came and shared this at the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at http://www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

12. That looks awesome.

My favorite thing about this post is that your dad is the #1 comment :)

13. Kat says:

Wow. Very impressive. It kinda reminds me of those old blinking movie theater signs, know what I mean? Love that you came up with it on your own too–super cool.

14. […] a fun idea… use coins to embellish letters and give them dimension and detail, just like Dacia from Lemon Drop […]

15. Suzanne says:

Your penny snow is just lovely! Very cute!

16. Sarah Jane says:

Where’d you get the tree next to it? I love it’s simplicity!

• Dacia says:

Hobby Lobby! Yeah, I was drawn to it for that reason, too..I love that it’s like a glam version of a Charlie Brown tree! I believe it was like $8 or $9.

17. vcei says:

Great idea, can’t wait to try it !!!!!!!

18. […] penny sign continues to be one of my most popular posts. I never dreamed people would like it so […]

19. Merissa says:

Did your pennies stay glued to the letters? I did a large M and am going to use it as a fall wreath however I can’t keep my pennies on…was looking for advice. I thought maybe finishing it with something on top of pennies…Thoughts?

20. Samaa says:

So pretty! Love the shimmer of the coins :) And great idea to paint the background – I had the same problem of the coins not covering the surface when I wanted to do something similar.
    Not sure if you’d be interested but I’m hosting a contest until Monday where you can submit your penny projects for a chance to win a giftcard to Value Village/Savers – pop by my blog if you want to enter!

21. […] Copper Hood | Top Right: Snow Sign from Lemon Drop Life | Bottom Right: Money Trees from Ivy in the […]

22. […] to do something out of the box.Penny BackSplash   Penny Countertop Penny Flooring  Penny Letters  Wall of Pennies – No Source  Nickel Tiled Floors  Nickel […]