It’s the MOST wonderful tiiiime of the yeeearrrrr!!

Finally, it’s OK to talk about Christmas! I’ve had the music going for a few weeks now, but I did hold off on bringing out any decor until Thanksgiving was over. But once we got home on Saturday, all bets were off. I went Christmas craft crazy and got quite a few projects done, and I can’t wait to show them all to you!

I’ve been dreaming up Christmas vignettes for weeks, and I knew I wanted to get some letters to spell out the word ‘snow.’ So when I was at JoAnn’s on Black Friday with my sister-in-laws and saw that all of their wooden letters were $1 off, I took it as a sign from Santa that it was time to make this project happen!

I knew I wanted them to be a little blingy, but I didn’t want to just use glitter so when I saw this image on Pinterest, my wheels, they were a-turnin’.

I originally thought about using dimes or nickels, but quickly ix-nayed that since it would make the project 5-10x more expensive than using pennies. Go ahead, call me a cheapskate :)

The only problem I was having was that the pennies didn’t give me nice even coverage of my letters, like you see in the picture above. There was still a lot of white showing. So I ran out and got a bottle of bronze acrylic paint, which really helped to disguise it against the coins.

And then it was as simple as gluing on my pennies. I didn’t try to pick out ones that were all shiny or all tarnished, I wanted a nice mixture of both. And in the same vein, I didn’t put them all ‘heads up’ or ‘tails up’…I just grabbed them randomly to try and keep things varied.

I LOVE the way they turned out, it was exactly what I was wanting!

Have you guys done any Christmas crafting recently? I’d love to see!

Tagged with →
Share →

28 Responses to Penny For Your Thoughts

1. Dad says:

Very crafty!!

2. Britt says:

LOVE IT! Very creative my friend :)

3. Absolutely Stunning!! I loooove this!

4. Whitney says:

So cute! I love that the letters are all in different fonts :)

5. Lyndon Finney says:

very nice!! Merry Christmas!!

6. Michaela says:

This is awesome! I love the metallic shine to it (: Thanks for linking up to our Christmas Cheer link party, Dacia (:

7. Ooh! You could even glitter-spray paint those pennies. I’m with ya, sister. The silver coinage is too $$ for a craft.

This is very cool. Sharing at my holiday pinterest folder…

Make my grinch heart grow bigger and share this at my Holiday Link. Happy Crafting!

8. I love the pennies! It looks so much better with bronze than with the silver dimes or nickels. I never would of thought of something like this, but it’s great!

9. Wow! You are a Christmas crafting genius! So glad I found your project via Centsational Girl.

Please stop by for a visit to my blog. I am currently in the midst of a Gifts to Make series.

Be Merry and Bright!

10. julia says:

I saw this on Bower Power. Love the idea, thanks for sharing!

11. Jen says:

You have such a gorgeous blog! And, I am seriously crushing on your coin letters, how clever! I’d be thrilled if you came and shared this at the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at

12. That looks awesome.

My favorite thing about this post is that your dad is the #1 comment :)

13. Kat says:

Wow. Very impressive. It kinda reminds me of those old blinking movie theater signs, know what I mean? Love that you came up with it on your own too–super cool.

14. […] a fun idea… use coins to embellish letters and give them dimension and detail, just like Dacia from Lemon Drop […]

15. Suzanne says:

Your penny snow is just lovely! Very cute!

16. Sarah Jane says:

Where’d you get the tree next to it? I love it’s simplicity!

• Dacia says:

Hobby Lobby! Yeah, I was drawn to it for that reason, too..I love that it’s like a glam version of a Charlie Brown tree! I believe it was like $8 or $9.

17. vcei says:

Great idea, can’t wait to try it !!!!!!!

18. […] penny sign continues to be one of my most popular posts. I never dreamed people would like it so […]

19. Merissa says:

Did your pennies stay glued to the letters? I did a large M and am going to use it as a fall wreath however I can’t keep my pennies on…was looking for advice. I thought maybe finishing it with something on top of pennies…Thoughts?

20. Samaa says:

So pretty! Love the shimmer of the coins :) And great idea to paint the background – I had the same problem of the coins not covering the surface when I wanted to do something similar.
    Not sure if you’d be interested but I’m hosting a contest until Monday where you can submit your penny projects for a chance to win a giftcard to Value Village/Savers – pop by my blog if you want to enter!

21. […] Copper Hood | Top Right: Snow Sign from Lemon Drop Life | Bottom Right: Money Trees from Ivy in the […]

22. […] to do something out of the box.Penny BackSplash   Penny Countertop Penny Flooring  Penny Letters  Wall of Pennies – No Source  Nickel Tiled Floors  Nickel […]